I don’t know about you, but the older I get, the more I need simple reminders when I feel overwhelmed. As I write, I have several reminders on little yellow sticky pads on my desk: Call Marty. Double-check rooms for Grove artist retreat. Pay Visa. Floss. Okay, delete the floss one.
If you feel discouraged, overwhelmed, or distracted, I hope these simple reminders will be helpful for you as an artist. In recent days, I’ve felt overwhelmed. I’ve never written so many checks to cover taxes and tuition for two college students. Last Monday, it was everything I could do to keep the anxiety monkeys from hurling handfuls of mental monkey excrement at me. If you’re overwhelmed…
Here are fifteen simple reminders to help you refocus and reframe your perspective when you feel overwhelmed. My goal here is not to be simplistic. Or trite. Or euphemistic. Or cute. Like beautiful design work, there is an elegance in simplicity. And when you feel overwhelmed, it best to keep things simple. All I can say is that this is what works for me. I’m human, not bullet-proof.
1. When you feel overwhelmed, make a simple list. Do one thing at a time.
2. Remind yourself that you really do love being an artist. Art is something you CANNOT not do.
3. If art was easy, everyone would be an artist.
4. Ask yourself, “What is my true identity? Is it my art?”
5. Stop taking yourself so serious. Laugh.
6. Leave all outcomes to God.
7. Take a nap. It may be the most spiritual thing you do today. Rest is holy.
8. Let go of your pride & self-reliance…ask for help.
9. It takes years, perhaps decades, to become a proficient artist. You get there one day at a time.
10. Your successes will teach you little. Trials and challenges are your best teachers.
11. Gratefulness is a wonderful antidote to anxiety.
12. God’s grace is sufficient for all things in all things.
13. Breathe deep.
14. Stop what you’re doing. Pray. Ask God to help you find your center in Him.
15. Accept this invitation from Jesus…
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
Questions: What reminder is most helpful to you today? Why?
I’d love your thoughts and comments.